Freedom's Land
I picked this book, because on its cover it had this pretty lady with a young lad and the title Freedom's land attracted me.
It is a great book. I enjoyed every bit of it....in fact I read it in flat 8 hours. Didn't even budge from my seat. As soon as I read a few pages, I knew it was a winner and then cooked and ate an enormous meal and sat perched with the book.
She write amazingly, uses simple English and short sentences but that keeps the pace of the story intact.
Story is about a scheme run by the Australian Government to provide land to all ex servicemen in Australia and hordes of people from England come for it. The brochures talk about dream homes and farms and cows and ....but they all are in for a surprise. How the families who reach there put up with the failure of the government and try their best with the help of locals to start their dream life - even if it means building their own dreams.
The characters are all real ones, someone we might know from our past or neighborhood. The marital problems, the understanding and not so understanding spouses, the secrets between the spouses, the children trying to adjust with new surroundings, new parents and so on..., the marriage of convenience, falling in love and all...its a beautiful way she writes some subtle, some explicit....its all about surviving and survivors living life.
Recommended read - Anna Jacob's Freedom's land
It is a great book. I enjoyed every bit of it....in fact I read it in flat 8 hours. Didn't even budge from my seat. As soon as I read a few pages, I knew it was a winner and then cooked and ate an enormous meal and sat perched with the book.
She write amazingly, uses simple English and short sentences but that keeps the pace of the story intact.
Story is about a scheme run by the Australian Government to provide land to all ex servicemen in Australia and hordes of people from England come for it. The brochures talk about dream homes and farms and cows and ....but they all are in for a surprise. How the families who reach there put up with the failure of the government and try their best with the help of locals to start their dream life - even if it means building their own dreams.
The characters are all real ones, someone we might know from our past or neighborhood. The marital problems, the understanding and not so understanding spouses, the secrets between the spouses, the children trying to adjust with new surroundings, new parents and so on..., the marriage of convenience, falling in love and all...its a beautiful way she writes some subtle, some explicit....its all about surviving and survivors living life.
Recommended read - Anna Jacob's Freedom's land
Comments